The ISTE Standards for teachers are a set of standards or guidelines that teachers need to follow to be prepared to educate students in the digital age. Following the standards help to insure that both teachers and students are prepared to understand and grow along with the several forms of technology that are used in such a digital, and technological dependent era.
There are five ISTE Standards:
- Facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity: teachers will help students advance creativity in their personal learning experience through the use of digital tools. The key components to this standard is innovation and problem solving in virtual environments.
- Design and develop digital age learning experiences and assessments: teachers will utilize digital tools in lesson plans, assessments and assignments. The tools used should accommodate to individual students learning styles, as well as allow students to manage their own process and educational goals.
- Model digital age work and learning: teachers will prepare their students for careers in the future by utilizing digital tools and platforms that are available and commonly used in the work force. Teachers are encouraged to do this by connecting with parents, peers and the community through the use of digital age media and formats.
- Promote and model digital citizenship and responsibility: teachers will follow and teach ethical and responsible use of digital tools. It is important that teachers are able to educate students of appropriate online behavior and the repercussions of having inappropriate photos, language and messages online.
- Engage in professional growth and leadership: as a teachers career progresses, it is important that he or she keeps up with the technology advances and the digital tools that are made available to them and their students. Teachers should continue to take technological based classes, evaluate research on digital tools, converse with colleagues and utilize digital tools in the classroom as much as possible.
As I am just beginning my education to become a teacher, I have not yet had the chance to learn the most effective way to fulfill each standard in a hands on way. I feel that I have an understanding of each standard, and why it is important that teachers possess the skill set to teach in the digital age. Additionally, I can see that educators need to provide students with the tools necessary to succeed in a digital age. In my opinion, being a student in the digital age at a collegiate level has given me a basis of knowledge for the use of technological tools in the classroom. The biggest difference is that I have always been on the student side of things, and I will be transitioning into using the technology to teach. I definitely feel more confident in modeling digital age work and learning and promoting/modeling digital citizenship because I have more personal experience with those two standards from my college experiences and even through using social media sites. I am eager to learn and improve my skills and knowledge in facilitating and inspiring student learning and creativity, designing and developing digital age learning experiences and assessments and engaging in professional growth and leadership.
To other aspiring educators, what are your ideas on how to implement the ISTE Standards into everyday situations in the classroom?